If you want to start at the beginning of my journey click on 'April' and then my first entry '1.From November 2010 until March 30th 2011.

Sunday 3 April 2011

12. HL - What is it then? The sciencey bit everyone....

Hodgkin lymphoma is a relatively rare type of lymphoma. There are about 1600 cases diagnosed in the UK each year.
Out of 100,000 people, between 2 and 3 people will get HL.
Liz Ellis is one of them.


HL is named after Dr Thomas Hodgkin.


There is another condition called Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma.
This is a term that refers to a wide range of illnesses.
To put it simply - how the doctor described it to me - the cells under the microscope look different.
HL is more predictable in the way it grows and behaves. It responds to different Chemo treatments.


I interpret that to mean it HL is easier to treat - it responds better. Which is another positive..!


No one knows why people get HL. You cannot catch it from anyone and I cannot give it to anyone else.


HL interferes with the normal function of the body.
Most people get lumps - like I have. These lumps are enlarged lymph nodes. I had a 2cm sized one removed in the biopsy and two 'smaller' ones next to it.
The lymph nodes become enlarged because they are full of lymphoma cells.
These cells are a type of white blood cell - a lymphocyte- (getting all sciencey now, not me at all! :P) which has started to grow in an abnormal way. The abnormal cells reproduce to make more abnormal cells.
HL starts in the neck or chest - this is where my lumps are.


HL affects the immune system. It prevents the body from fighting infections properly. Cancer cells are produced instead of normal cells. How annoying. Naf off.


The most common symptoms of lymphoma is:
  • a painless lump or swelling in the neck, armpit or groin
Some people will have no symptoms other than a lump.


Other symptoms include:
  • unusual tiredness or fatigue
  • excessive sweating at night
  • persistent flu -like symptoms
  • fevers
  • difficulty in shaking off infections
  • unexplained weight loss
  • abdominal pain
  • diarrhoea or changes in bowel habit
  • a persistent cough or breathlessness
  • unexplained itching
  • pain after drinking alcohol
My symptom was a painful lump.
I was tired lots but just put that down to being a busy gal and work stresses.
I have had IBS for quite a number of years so I often have abdominal pain and my bowel habits (sorry) are irregular but can be managed and eased when I drink plenty of water.


So it was hard to spot HL really. But I am so glad I was persistent with the doctors. I was lucky to get a good doctor  at the walk in clinic in the end who pushed through for a fast track after that I was diagnosed in 4 weeks.


I am grateful.
In a lot of ways I am lucky.


source: Lymphoma Association - Freephone 08 08 808 5555 - http://www.lymphomas.org.uk/ - registered charity No. 1068395

No comments: