If you want to start at the beginning of my journey click on 'April' and then my first entry '1.From November 2010 until March 30th 2011.

Saturday 9 April 2011

22. Wow Thursday and Wow (slightly ouchy) Friday

Mum and Dad came over and took me out on Thursday morning. I wanted to get some bedding plants and shrubs for the back garden. We went to Mill Farm Nursery at South Milford. The weather was rubbish first thing, but by about half 9, 10 ish the sun was peeking and the blue sky was stunning.
Mill Farm Nursery is like another world, set in the middle of a village, up a country road, you feel like you are alone in the middle of pure beauty.
We chose some gorgeous plants and went to have coffee and biscuits in the orchard. I would like to revisit there if I feel up to it when I have started Chemo.. it was heavenly.

Piccies...





It was a lovely morning out and we felt like we'd had a mini holiday together.


Today I went for my bone marrow test at 9.30am.  This is done to see if the cancer has spread to my bone marrow. Anthony had managed to get the day off to come with me which really made all the difference. Instantly I feel calmer when he's with me. On the way to the hospital I wanted to collect my parcel. I'd had one of those red cards drop through the letter box on Thursday and didn't have a clue what it could be! I felt excited! We arrived at the sorting office which is on the way. Standing at the counter we waited. I expected a packet or box that was a little bit bigger than the letter box. I was wrong. The box was a lot bigger! ooooooooooh so giddy. I was ripping it open in the car park. I took a look at the address label to see if I recognised the handwriting - but I realised it was a printed address label. Then I saw in tiny writing... build a bear.
EEEEEEEEE! I have seen build a bear in White Rose Shopping Centre a few times but only been in once. Some how I think that will change.... Pam next door said they sell outfits, oh dear haha...

Here is my build a bear lamb!









Hope is wearing scrubs and a sash saying get well soon! She has a little Xray with a heart on it and came in a pink Easter basket! So cute. I was chuffed to bits and to have this to smile about on the way to hospital was perfect!
Thank you Tarah and David! xxx


We went to Ward 7 Haemotology, the same ward where I will go for Chemo. In the waiting room. The same scary paintings from last time. Anthony commented on them. We had a giggle about them. We seemed to be waiting ages.
At last my name was called. We went with the doctor, but he didn't want Anthony to come with me for the test. I was quite pushy with the doctor. I explained how I had been led to believe that Anthony would be able to be with me throughout the test and how I would need him there to keep me calm. Eventually, the doctor agreed for Anthony to be there with me. He then started to explain the test. My knees are jelly explaining it ?!

I laid on my left side, with my knees up. I was still fully clothed, just my jeans down a little so the doctor could get to my hip bone on my back. 




Anthony sat on a chair next to the bed, starting to hold by hand to begin with. I knew this was quite a big thing for him to be doing, I admire him so much. He is a bit worse than me with needles (what a pair we are eh?) but he never showed it once and kept smiling and comforting me. The doctor put a local anaesthetic into my hip which stung a little. I went very faint at this point and a bit flustered and kicked off a bit!
Anthony had to push me back down onto the bed. It was all becoming real now. They gave me a sip of water and cooled me down.
When I had calmed down and stopped crying the doctor started the test. A needle was put into my skin which then went into my actual hip bone, into the centre where the marrow is. This felt so odd. I had no pain, no pain at all. I could feel a pulling, shoving and clicking sensation - which was the doctor drawing out the bone marrow. All the time this was happening I was jigging my feet, breathing fast, then slow, deep breaths then forgetting to, getting upset, calming down and all over the place. One second I would be calm and composed the next I got in a bit of a tiz! Anthony just kept getting me to look into his eyes and relived funny stories and things that we often laugh at. This really worked. I had gone from holding his hand to clutching him in a big hug. I am certain that if he hadn't have been there then after that local anaesthetic needle I would have got off the bed and not gone through with it.

A lot of what I was experiencing was me panicing and imagining what the doctor was doing. Because, still, I had no pain. It was a bit uncomfortable don't get me wrong - but nothing more than that. I know everyone is different and some people who may have had this test could have had a lot of pain throughout.
The test lasted about 10 - 15 minutes. It did feel like longer if I'm honest! When it was over I was so relieved and smiley! Anthony said he was proud of me. It felt so nice to hear that. I had done it. All done.
The healthcare assistant brought us both a cup of tea. We laughed about the test and Anthony was joking with me about when I started to kick off :) The doctor came back in and agreed that it was a good test and showed me the bone marrow in the container.


Big gap coming up before and after photo,
 if you don't want to see it, just scroll past it. :) xx


























































I was fascinated and impressed I had gone through that test!
The doctor explained I was fine to carry on as normal throughout the rest of the day and could take pain killers as and when needed. I had a dressing on and could take it off for a shower the next day. I was hobbling about a bit, but could move about ok. I should be notified about the results next week.

We left the hospial and outside it was soooooo hot and not a cloud in the sky!
I felt so alive and excited that this test was over with and we could enjoy our day together.
The drive home was lovely, lots of great tunes and happy feelings. Later in the day Anthony went to see his work mates for a drink in the sunshine and I relaxed in the garden with Ziggy.

Pam and Katie our neighbours were out later on and we chatted to them for a bit. Pam had asked me to swap her phone with the delivery guy who was bringing her replacement phone. So we chatted about that and Pam was lovely - asking how I was.

In the evening we both wanted to have a little BBQ so I went and got some treats and we enjoyed a lovely special evening together.

Now it's the weekend and I'm looking forward to it even more so now the test is done. Another box ticked.
First Chemo session next week.


Fingers crossed the sun will stay for the weekend - yay! :)








No comments: