If you want to start at the beginning of my journey click on 'April' and then my first entry '1.From November 2010 until March 30th 2011.

Tuesday 31 May 2011

105. HeadStrong = Fantastic!





I had decided to go along to the Cancer Support Centre at Bradford for the HeadStrong after Sarah at the centre told me there was a free appointment.


''HeadStrong is a free service run by
specially trained volunteer
advisors, offering practical
information and support around
hair loss due to cancer treatment,
on an individual appointment basis''


I had a 2pm appointment. I arrived and as usual, the centre felt so calming and relaxing. Caroline who works there made me a cuppa and we chatted for a bit. It's really nice to go to the centre and see people there. It's caring but not 'in your face' and in a way that would make you feel uncomfortable or uneasy. The staff there are all lovely and friendly but not over the top. I really recommend going to see what it's all about.
After having a giggle with Caroline, I was called through to my appointment.
All the sessions take place in the annex part of the building. It's really nicely done out inside and has a good feeling to it when you walk in.
I was taken to the room next door to where I have previously had the hypnotherapy and aromatherapy.
Everything looked so organised in the room. Three smiley ladies were there and were keen to make me relaxed. I sat in the comfy chair and finished most of my cuppa.


Pat, Mina and Stella, three wonderful women, volunteering for the centre, all different and all offering support to me. Just me. I felt like I had a big warm hug around me. They sat around me, as I sat looking into the mirror as Pat showed me different looks with scarves, bandanas, sleep caps and more!
They showed me the range of 1m squared scarves of which I was entitled to choose one to keep, for free! I could also choose a silky scarf too. For free too.
They used these as the scarves to show me ways to wear the scarf and fancy ways to tie and wrap. Pat showed me how to add accessories to jazz up the scarves. It was so clever and a lot of the things they showed me I wouldn't have tried myself without help.


By the end of the group we were all laughing. I felt comfortable enough to be myself and was laughing at some of the scarves Pat was putting on me. They were laughing at me and giving advice too. The best combination, having a laugh but serious in the right places. I felt like I had known them for longer than the hour that I had been there.
I left feeling more confident and bouncy, like they had helped me find Liz again. She wasn't far away, it was the nasty week that had taken her and put her inside the pain and frustration of everything.
A cloud lifted as I left there and I just felt fab. Thank you Pat, Mina and Stella. :) lots of love xx


This is a really great site for head scarves -
AnnaBandana - very affordable head wear! I am going to make some purchases soon. Will add pics. High quality.
http://www.annabandana.co.uk/

No comments: