If you want to start at the beginning of my journey click on 'April' and then my first entry '1.From November 2010 until March 30th 2011.

Friday 8 July 2011

154. Look Good, Feel Better' VERY TRUE!

Well. This week seems to have gone by in a flash..
It doesn't seem like 2 minutes since I was blogging about Jenny taking me to Chemo 6 and then I was planning the outfit and practising make up for the 80's party.

It's been a strange week, one where I have to think what I did, but when I do I go 'oh yeah!'


On Tuesday I went to my 'Look Good, Feel Better' session which was held at the Robert Ogden Macmillan Centre at St James' Hospital.

It was my friend Catherine H that arranged this for me, I didn't know anything about it. I was in no state of mind to book this or find out about it, as I was right at the beginning of my experience of HL when Raf got in touch and said Catherine could help me. When I learnt about it, I was so excited. I remember thinking - how generous is that charity?!  I am so grateful to you Catherine - for being there to put something in place for me which came round so quickly and I am so glad it did xxxx (I was on the top of the list hun, which made me smile, thank you x)

I got there early so I could get parked and get a permit that the centre give out to it's visitors. Once inside, I was made a lovely coffee by a sweet old lady, on my own little tray with biscuits. She was so lovely and polite.
I waited in the comfy seated area and tried to keep cool with my spray and by wafting a near by leaflet on my face. Slowly, more women came through the door. It was a bizarre feeling to watch other women with shaved fluffy heads like me. It felt comforting, like I was understood in a code.
I looked at one lady and just smiled, she shook her head as she wafted a leaflet at her face. Then smiled. 'Only good thing about this hair do!' She said.
I invited two other ladies to come and sit with me, as it was very warm in the corner where they had chosen to sit. One of the ladies was wearing a very very good wig, I actually wasn't totally sure it was a wig at first. The lady with her was her friend, for support. Thought this was lovely.
They both sat and chatted to me, we exchanged experiences with cancer and laughed about common situations and experiences.
Soon enough a lady called Fran called us in and we went through to a room where we would be starting the session.

Laid out on the tables were the mirrors and products. Exciting!
There were about 15 of us in the group, split across two tables. I chose a seat near the fan, it was so warm in there!
Fran introduced Look Good, Feel Better to us:

Look Good…Feel Better was set up by the Cosmetic Toiletry and Perfumery Association (CTPA) and gained charitable status in 1993. Today, the Programme has the support of over 40 leading companies and brands in the Beauty Industry

Look Good…Feel Better helps women cancer patients in the most practical and positive way.
Finding out you have cancer in any form can be daunting and life-changing, and the added stress of the appearance related side effects of treatment can be demoralising and very hard to cope with. This can have serious consequences on self-esteem and confidence at a time when a positive attitude is very important.

We hold free skincare and make-up workshops to help combat the visible side effects of cancer treatment and, in turn, boost confidence and wellbeing.
The sessions are run weekly, fortnightly or monthly for up to 12 people. They are held in over 59 locations throughout the UK, in hospitals and cancer care centres. The Look Good Feel Better Programme is now available in 21 countries worldwide.


It was then time to get started! The LGFB team brought round the FREE kit bags, full of stuff! And i mean FULL!
Look at these photos:


YES THAT IS RIGHT!

PRADA
CHANEL
CLINIQUE
LANCOME
CLARINS
ELIZABETH ARDEN
NO 7
LOREAL
MAX FACTOR
MAYBELLINE

The products are absolutely beautiful and now I have a new favourite perfume too! The purple Prada box is the perfume. It smells wow.

The friendly team talked us through the 12 step make up programme and I can honestly say that I have never learnt so much about make up in one sitting before - and it's stayed in my mind, I have replicated the look a couple of times since! The team were right when they said, you will learn the techniques and probably use them even when you are well again after treatment - get into good make up habits, it was fabulous!

As we went along, everyone in the room was taking part and having a giggle together. It was incredible how much this had helped us all. Everyone looked lifted and boosted at the end. Everyone looked so glam too! We needed a party to go to!

I absolutely loved the Look Good Feel Better and highly recommmend it to everyone. It has refreshed me and helped me to realise even though I am sitting at home I can look fabulous at the same time. Because looking good DOES make you feel better.
Yesterday I was feeling rubbish and had a bath and then did my make up to the 12 step programme and I really did feel boosted. My next door neighbour came to the door and usually I would be a bit eek about it due to not looking my best, but I had a full face of make up on, all natural looking, but felt confident :)

It feels like Christmas everytime I go in the bag!
xxxxxx



No comments: