If you want to start at the beginning of my journey click on 'April' and then my first entry '1.From November 2010 until March 30th 2011.

Monday 25 July 2011

172. Visit to Hawksworth CE

Had a lovely night out on Wednesday, went out for drinks with Chris and Jenny. It felt so lovely to be out all together, catching up and having LOTS of silly laughs. Mainly me and Jen doing our silly laughs!

On Thursday I went to Year 6 leavers assembly at Hawksworth CE. I worked there in my first job at a school as a Learning Support Assistant, supporting Edward in reception in 2004. He was obviously new to school and so was I. We had a big learning curve between us. It was a really enjoyable time in my life working there. I left in 2006 to pursue teaching, which ended up not being for me but that's another blog entry for another time...
 I always kept in touch with the staff, Edward's new support assistant Helen and with Edward and his parents. Ed's mum Denise text me and invited me to his leavers assembly, as did Jean and Helen who I worked with in Class 1 at the time. At the time I wasn't very well with chemo and said I'd do my best to get there, but couldn't promise. As I felt worse with migranes, I began to think there was no way I would be able to go. Then I had those two good sessions of chemo when Jen came with me and things since have been a lot better. The positivity from her has just totally lifted me up and helped me enormously. I feel so lucky to have such a good friend in my life.

I was really chuffed on Wednesday when I felt up to going to the assembly on the Thursday. I sent Jean and Denise a text to let them know.

Driving up to Hawksworth felt so strange, like back in time. So much has happened in my life since then, it felt like a life time ago. I parked up and walked down to the school. It really took me back to when I first started there. I remember before that, dropping off the application form - it was a really hot Summer, remember those? - and being all nervous.

As I walked I saw many familiar faces. Some recognised me, others didn't. I had my head scarf on, I felt confident to go without it, but I just didn't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable, especially the children. I hadnt seen them since they were all  in year 3 or 4 and to not see some one for that length of time normally is strange, but add on top that someone who looks very different and no hair, I just felt it was too much of a shock.

Seeing the staff was so lovely. Michele, Linda, Hilary and Sally, then Helen, Cath, Rachel, Margaret ....All hugging me and making me feel at ease. And I did, it was like no time has passed! Standing at the entrance to the hall, the children were all putting together their last minute preparations for the assembly, top secret from everyone. So they were all rushing about and getting things together. I was in awe of them. So proud. I got lots of hugs and every so often I'd turn round hearing a shout 'MISS ELLIS!!!!!!' Such a lovely feeling. They were so mature and grown up. End of an era...

Denise and Paul arrived and I sat with them in the assembly. Which was absolutely fantastic. Such comedy and humour and put together so well. The year 6's were superstars. They entertained the whole school and parents, were were laughing and crying - happy and later sad tears!

I felt quite tired after sitting there for the duration of the assembly, which sound daft, but at the best of times we all get a numb bum, I had that and my bones were aching a bit, from holding myself up and my skin was sore.

I stayed with the staff after just so I could see them properly. A coffee and some delicious choc cake perked me up! What a surprise there eh. We all chatted and laughed about the really funny bits of the assembly and it felt lovely.

I was so happy to be able to enjoy my visit and it made my week a very special one. Thank you x

No comments: