If you want to start at the beginning of my journey click on 'April' and then my first entry '1.From November 2010 until March 30th 2011.

Tuesday 12 July 2011

162. Reiki session at Bradford Cancer Support

Just got back from my reiki session, all relaxed and feeling lovely. I thought I would just bob on and write a little bit about it whilst the feelings are still fresh.

Gary Blonder is a fully qualified hypnotherapist, reiki practitioner and stress councillor. Gary volunteers at the centre to help patients like me with anything they want help with. He custom makes sessions to your needs. I have tried hypnotherapy.
Today I wanted to have some more reiki, simply because last time I had it, it just made me feel fantastic.

Here is a little bit of information about Reiki:

Reiki (pronounced ray-key) is the Japanese art of healing. Reiki itself was founded in the early 20th Century by Usui Mikao, a Japanese Buddhist. He taught his technique to his followers who expanded it further and then handed it down from one practitioner to another. All genuine Reiki practitioners know the whole chain of Reiki masters who have passed on the technique from Usui all the way to themselves. Only Reiki masters who have received their knowledge directly through this chain of masters can teach Reiki to new practitioners.
Reiki is based on the same theory as the ancient practice of acupuncture, that there is a universal energy called “Chi” (or “Ki” in Japanese) that can be directed through the body to promote healing. Whereas acupuncture uses very fine needles, Usui discovered that a similar effect could come through a suitably trained person laying hands on the sick person in the right way. Modern science has no means of measuring this energy, so like acupuncture you can only know its effectiveness through having the experience yourself.
Reiki is beneficial for everything, for any physical, mental or spiritual disorder, but particularly anxiety, stress and trauma. However, it must be understood that Reiki offers healing, not a cure. It stimulates the mind, body and spirit to heal itself, but exactly how this healing will manifest itself and over what time scale cannot be predicted. For this reason Reiki should be seen as a complementary not alternative therapy. You should not necessarily substitute a current course of treatment for Reiki, but have Reiki in addition. Nevertheless, there are often rapid noticeable benefits. 

First Gary made sure I was comfortable for the session to commence by offering me pillows for my neck and head, under my knees etc. Being comfortable for the session is very important as it is 45mins - 1hr and to be not quite comfy would stop you from fully appreciating the session.
Once comfy, relaxing music on, Gary began.
He started by laying his hands onto my face and holding them there for a length of time. This itself is relaxing, as strange as it sounds. It took a while for my mind to stop being busy and thinking about things but after 5-10 mins I totally relaxed. By this time he had moved onto holding my head, neck and then - I think - because I started to doze off - he moved onto my arms and abdomen.
With the music, the relaxing position and the process of reiki, I felt calm and happy. Warmth is felt throughout the body and particularly concentrated warmth on the body parts that are being held or touched.
Nothing much really happens apart from that.
Like Gary says you have to see to believe. I believe. After I had reiki last time I had more energy and felt calmer in my body.
If you haven't tried reiki before I would give it a go and experience it at least once. I think that you do have to be open to new things and open to them working for them to stand a chance of getting the full effect of a session.

Feeling all lovely now and going to enjoy putting my feet up.
Blood test tomorrow morning.

Here is a link to Gary's site http://www.garyblonder.co.uk/

No comments: