If you want to start at the beginning of my journey click on 'April' and then my first entry '1.From November 2010 until March 30th 2011.

Wednesday 21 September 2011

271. Worst blood test!

OUCH!
Went for blood test this morning. Waiting room was packed!
Eventually got in for bloods. A new health care assistant joined the team, she hasnt worked in there when I have been in the day unit, so I havent met her before.
She came over to do my obs - blood pressure, temp and swab for MRSA. She sat down to take my blood. I could tell without her saying anything that she wouldn't be able to find a vein. It took a while to find one, normally my veins are ok and have been great up until the last chemo.
The healthcare assistant started to prep my arm and did the well known tapping on the skin, turns my stomach everytime and makes me faint. I think I felt more nervous because she hadnt taken my blood before and I am so used to the regular staff, weird because thats never crept into my head before, but for some reason today I felt scared. She inserted the needle and it hurt! Then the needle fell out and blood was leaking out of me, I couldnt look. The lady seemed really disappointed, as was I! It would mean I'd have to go through it again now. eesh.
She looked again at my veins and even looked at the possiblility of taking from my left knuckle! I refused. NO WAY. The cannula hurt enough the other week when it was just below my right knuckles, when I cried like a baby. Stacey, who regularly works in there offered to come over and swap. I felt a bit more at ease, as I know Stacey is really gentle, but firm and I have always had a good experience with her. She tried again, but this failed as well. And a third time! My veins must be completely battered. I am surprised they have lasted so well so long to be honest. Most people on the day unit have PIC lines, when there's permanently a line in the skin. Diane, the nurse on the day unit came over to help and eventually found a vein, it was really deep - abba babbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
All done and waiting to see if all goes ahead for Chemo 11 out of 12 tomorrow!

No comments: