If you want to start at the beginning of my journey click on 'April' and then my first entry '1.From November 2010 until March 30th 2011.

Monday 19 September 2011

263. The big zippy day

What an incredible day! I DID IT!  I am so grateful that I was well enough to take part and enjoy it as much as I did!


I started to get shaky hands when we arrived there and every step I took felt like work. The walk from the end of the zip line where my family and friends were was quite sizeable for someone who hasnt exercised since March! Actually, just realised typing this that the event sheet said the zip goes 220m from start to finish, so 220m add a bit more for going in and out of the building. Then multiply it by about 3 or 4 times as I had to go backwards and forwards.
220m, who would ever have thought I would say that I was tired walking that distance?? It just shows the toll chemotherapy takes on the body.
Walking was hard work. I could feel my muscles crying. I felt quite unsteady on my feet.

The banner that Charlie
and his mummy Helen T made for me! I LOVE IT




Helen T, David, Will and Charlie came to support me and my Mum and Dad. It was lovely to see them all together. Charlie kept shouting Go Liz! It was wonderful. Seeing everyone together made me feel so special and loved. They were all there for me. I felt in the spot light and like, ta da! It was a nice feeling though.
Zoe, Kelly, Chris and Carmen, Cheryl, Grant and Eva were there too! I work with Zoe, Kelly, Cheryl and Grant. They all gave me massive hugs and made me feel so supported and loved. How lovely that they took time out of their weekends to come and spend it with me and see me do the zip slide. I thought this was really special. xxx
Raf, Rachel, Andy, Vicki W, Sophie and Tom came too! They were stood together catching up which was nice to see. They all looked really smiley and happy to be there.
Katy and Millie came - Millie was holding a sign and cheering for me, so cute!
My Aunty Helen and cousins Katie and Joe cheered for me too. Katie took some great photos.
Anthony's Mum, Dad and Grandma were there. Anthony's Mum gave me the biggest cuddle. It was so nice. I feel so happy.
Mick and Julie Cook - Anthony's family friends and who we have known over the years from going to airshows, rallies etc, came to join in the support and Mick took some photos with his impressive lenses. :) Mick is a very talented photographer and took piccies at Katy and Mark's wedding in Oct 2007.  He gave me a big bear hug and seemed really chuffed to be there. It meant a lot to see everyone all together.

So! The zip slide itself?! Well, it was incredible! I got such a rush from it!


Going up to the hatch - the red dot on the building shows roughly where the hatch was - I felt so excited and was buzzing! There were ten of us doing it for Cancer Support, including Sarah Firth who works there, who came to visit me. Its been fab getting to know Sarah and to share the experience was special.
I also got chatting to a lovely lady called Julie Elliot. We had a giggle together and it was really great to find someone so friendly and on the same wavelength. We all had our harnesses, hats and gloves on and were ready. It was a real effort for me to get harnessed up, I couldnt hold myself up very well and Julie helped me to stay balanced. Simple tasks like 'put your foot in there' aren't simple for me. I have to really concentrate to balance and do it. I have to slow myself down and take it steady. We had to squish in the lift and we got to the third floor, we then had to get another lift to the top! Everyone in the lift went quiet for a short moment. My brain was whizzing all over the place. I was thinking about going down the zip ,how it would feel, what it would look like. Someone broke the silence. I realised I was miles away in my own thoughts. Smile. 
 When the lift doors opened, I didn't want to get out. It felt so surreal. I looked and could see an opening, was that IT? The hatch I would be going out of?? no wayyyy..!



We waited for the second half of the group to come in the lift and talked nervously among ourselves.. Once we were all together, the guy sending us down the zip, gave us a quick talk through what we needed to do - make sure when we saw the silver fiesta to grab back hold of the rope (if we wanted to let go!) and then put your hand out to the guy at the bottom. Lewis who was filming  everything, went first. Then Sam. Then the guy said, who's next. Silence. 'ME!' I went for it!
It was awkward getting my legs and body into the small hatch, I had to sit with my legs out in front of me

'Do I have to go now?!'

I was really nervous now, everything was in sight, I had to push myself out and zip down the line! I asked if I had to go. I was really scared!! I had to trust the line!  I went for it! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!



This was the best bit, felt so free, amazing.. just too quick! would do it again in a heartbeat!

This guy was so lovely! Had a really nice chat with him. I had to be asked to leave the stand eventually though, someone else had to come down the zip for Bradford Cancer Support of course!

Thanks to everyone that donated to my zip slide event! It was a total success and I had the most special time and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would!

Thank you to everyone that came along to support me - hope you enjoyed yourself xx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What can I say . . . You have moved me to tears with this post Liz.

As you know I battled a flu like cold the week before the Zip Slide but I just knew I had to do it to support you!

I had 2 days off work and slept all day Saturday but I told myself 'If Liz can do it so can I' :-)

You are such an inspiration and you mean so much to so many people - I'm certain you got the biggest cheer of the day when you came down the wire.

Please let me thank you again for taking part and raising so much money for Cancer Support xx

Love from Sarah Firth xxx

Julie Elliott said...

Liz, like Sarah, you have moved me so much. I will be following your blog from now on, as you have inspired me so much.
I loved meeting you on Sunday, we had a good laugh!! I felt we clicked and got on well. I take my hat off to ya ( not the hard hat tho! lol )
My heartfelt best wishes i send for you, during your courageous battle. Keep up the good work, and well done on Sunday!!
Love Julie xxx