If you want to start at the beginning of my journey click on 'April' and then my first entry '1.From November 2010 until March 30th 2011.

Wednesday 24 August 2011

215. Improved

ginger beer
mini cheddar bites
swizzle matlow chews
haribo pontefract cakes
lions liquorice gums
meat feast pizza

cheered me up. I managed to get out and drive this afternoon, felt weird at first. I drove to Morrisons. I slowly walked to find a small trolley. I couldnt find one anywhere a first, they'd all gone. I ended up having to go out of my way to find one. Usually in the fast paced world I have I would dash around and struggle with an over brimming had basket or just bundle everything in my arms. But feeling as slow and tired as I did, I wanted to feel normal and do something real, so I just walked at my own pace and sauntered to the other trolley park round the other side of the entrance. Watching other people rushing by about their business, seeing children with parents, families,... I felt so disjointed from the world. An old man took a double take at me as I walked towards him. That happens. It doesnt bother me.I just smile at them. I smile at most people who catch my eye to be honest. It's just something I've always done. When you get one back it's lovely.
 I'd go as far to say that I feel proud of my shaved head. It's a fact that it's happened and I haven't really wanted to cover it or hide it. I have a few times, like with my head scarves - but this is sometimes to make others feel less awkward, not me, because I don't. Wigs just haven't done it for me either. Nice to try on, wear for an evening or a bit, but I couldn't keep one on for a full day. Itch.

Got music channels on tv at the moment and eating liquorice. It helps my tummy a lot.
Watching all the latest videos and where they're set, all the people dancing, looking happy. I know it's just a music video, but I want to feel that free. I feel entwined with 'being ill' and my body being battered from the effects of chemo.
I was having a bath last night and chatting to mum. I was out of it a bit with pain, but I remember saying how I want my body back. She comforted me and told me it would come back and I would get there. I have accepted the changes, yes, I have, I have adjusted to that and accepted it. But it doesnt mean I am happy and want to keep this pot belly, chunky bum, podgy thighs and heavy body. I am saying this because it's how I feel about what the drugs have done. It's for my records, not for any other reason. I need to remember this.

I want to have that feeling in my bones and muscles that I have exercised and feel the blood around my body working. .
To put my trainers on and to feel free to walk or jog.
To buy an outfit that makes me feel sexy and have my hair back. To feel the wind in my hair. To go out with my friends dancing and to really have a laugh.
To be asked how I am and for it not to be about cancer or chemo.
To go SWIMMING. Oh now that is one. I miss swimming so much. Too many germs at the moment, too risky.
To be me and not have so many hang ups like I did before cancer.

I got caught in a beautiful rain shower with a vanilla sky earlier. It was so pretty. I could feel autumn in the air.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

((((HUGS))))

you are just soooo brave xx promise me you'll NEVER stop blogging i just absolutely LOVE how you write!! i come in and sit down with a cuppa and join you on your journey...you really do have an amazing gift!!

very soon you'll have all the things you wish for back, your gorgeous curls, your dancing feet,.... but just for now this time is for you...your body is slowing you down as its telling you to rest, this is Lizzy time xx

All the new things you notice now..... (the things you take time to notice but didn't have the time to see before)....this is the lasting gift that the big C will leave you with.....the gift of appreciating life and living each and every bit of the day.....noticing the beautiful rain and vanilla skies...learning to dance in the rain these are all things you will notice from now on and for always....

it was only this weekend i was in my PJ's dancing until i was breathless barefoot on the grass like a nutter...but it truely is the one thing guarenteed to make you feel totally and utterly alive!!!


and as always remember that....

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!! XX
(keep smiling....you are winning !!!) xx

Anonymous said...

Oh god I love the above comment so so much!! It brought tears to my eyes, and so much so its compelled me to write one too. I secretly follow your blog with such admiration, there is no reason for it to be secret, except I dont know you and you dont know me, although I'm sure we have mutual friends ( which is how I came across you on facebook). I'm so pleased everything is heading in the right direction for you, I think about you a lot and how amazing you are. Keep strong, keep smiling and keep blogging! Your ace! With love Becky xx
Ps I LOVE your craft work too!

Liz said...

Thank you Claire and Becky.
Becky - is that Becky Castle on FB? xx