If you want to start at the beginning of my journey click on 'April' and then my first entry '1.From November 2010 until March 30th 2011.

Friday 19 August 2011

205. Wide awake, smiling at the memories...

Chemo makes me feel ickky today. I feel nauseaus and tired but can't sleep for the icckyness.
So I have got up out of bed instead of wriggling in bed and being annoying. Got my i-tunes on and and relaxing in low light.
Just been creating some mix CD's - they'd be mix tapes if I had the technology still. Something about old skool mix tapes back in the day! I used to make them all the time! My dad got me a mix tape of a DJ friend when I was about 10 or 11 when I was showing an interest in becoming a radio DJ and I used to love listening to it. The stuff on there was basic dance but at the time top notch!
Dad even made a mixing desk for me with units he had lying around and other things he bought at car boots. I had vinyls of his and ones I bought from car boot sales. I used to mix and record myself talking, I was the next Zoe Ball. I took it further with hospital radio, voluntreering for the VBS when I got to 15. I had my own slot from 8.30 - 9 and took requests from the wards. Bits of it were scary - speaking to old poorly people and asking for their favourite songs. Admitedly and naturally I had no clue on some of the tracks - but over the time I was there I learnt a lot about artists, technology and developed my technique. It boosted my confidence and I found it was something I really enjoyed. I wish I had pursued it further really and have often thought about doing it again and looking into it at Leeds or Bradford hosptials.. It's something to think about I guess, voluntary work for a good cause.
Some of the tracks that used to get requested became songs I still love today as it brings back happy memories.
I'd go with my Dad to Grandma Ellis' house and we'd have fish and chips with her from Maypole Fisheries (used to be Ballingers, which I still call it.)
Then Dad would take me up to the hospital and drop me off. So songs from that time just make me think of special times with Dad and Grandma. Even smells in the weather make me stop and go, ooh hospital radio evening...!

I'm going to see if I can think of any now and add them on their own post..... xxxx

No comments: