If you want to start at the beginning of my journey click on 'April' and then my first entry '1.From November 2010 until March 30th 2011.

Wednesday 8 June 2011

119. Sleep, Yoga and me

Hello - feeling a lot less achy and tired today. Managed to sleep well - fresh bedding helped.
Had peaches, prunes and muller rice for breakfast with a coffee.
I have discovered my eating varies quite a lot in this first week after chemo. Particularly with the steroids. Today I had a big lunch of pasta, tuna and salad. I haven't eaten since and that was 1pm ish. Normally I am looking for the next thing around this time and I'm managing with just a cuppa for now.
We have plans to go to Tom and Soph's for tea tonight. I'm looking forward to getting out of the house and having some reality!
 Like last night, I needed to get out last night. Chris had visited us, we'd had a relaxed evening after some food together. As time went on in the evening I felt more and more trapped and Anthony came with me to go for a walk round the block, which really helped. It was nice, as we haven't been that way for a walk since we moved and we saw our street from a totally different view. Felt good. We were out for less than 15 mins but it was enough for me get some summer air and smell the trees and leaves. Made me feel alive! As you know I love nature...

**************************************************

Back in January this year I was searching around for some yoga classes and found a lady in the Rodley area who's classes sounded perfect at what I was looking for. I emailed her and planned to attend a class on a Monday night. One thing started happening after the other, I got flu and couldn't go, then we moved house, and then I got diagnosed with Cancer. I never actually got to meet her or experience my first yoga class. The other week when I was on here wingeing about my body and feelings about exercise, I decided to do something pro active and contacted Anji again. I explained why I hadn't been in touch and that I had been diagnosed with HL and how I wanted to do something light in between treatments to boost my mobility and confidence. I asked her when her classes were on and what times in the day she did. Maybe going to them would help me get out and do something active?

This is the reply I got...

Hiya Liz,

I am really sorry to hear that you have Hodgkin's Lymphoma, you sound like you are maintaining some control & positivity which is really helpful. Keep visualising those cancer cells being flushed away each time you run water or see them being hovered up.
With regards to a yoga practice I would love to come work with you one to one for what I'd charge for a class which is only £6.50. Just a hour a every other week. Half hour of stretches to help keep on top of your mobility. 10 mins breathing practice to give your mind some tools to use when it's feeling stressed / bored in those MRI machines etc & 20 mins deep relaxation. I will leave you some relaxation cds & a gentle exercise cd which you can use at other times.

I would be able to come to you on a Wednesday morning 10.30 til 11.30 the week you dont have treatment.  Hope to hear from you soon.

Warmest Regards,
Anji. x


No way, what so ever, did I expect to get such a positive, helpful, encouraging reply! I felt so happy! I called her and arranged our first session. I thanked her for being so kind and generous when she didn't even know me. She said it wasn't a problem and that good things come back to us all if we give it out. She said it in such a natural way that made me feel at ease and comfortable.

Anji arrived this morning and I was very impressed. We did all the things she suggested and she left me some exercises to do with accompanying cd's. She also leant me one of her books which looks like interesting reading. I am looking forward to doing them soon when I have good days. I am open to new things and am particularly interested in spirituality and relaxation, so this is perfect for me.
I spent the rest of the day feeling in control and relaxed and overall pretty amazing! Looking forward to the next one. I love to try new things....




Today I spoke to my consultant. I made a complaint about the awful doctor I had seen and she explained how they were already having problems with that particular person. I felt like it wasn't just me being sensitive. My consultant said that I would be scanned in the next week to see how the cells have reacted. Also that they are going to try not to give my any more GCSF unless it's totally necessary. Fingers crossed I don't have to have it eh!? It was really good to speak to her about it all and I don't feel as in the dark as I did. Phew!

No comments: